<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Bette White update

I was told that, unbelievable as it seems, the TC did NOT table the Bette White eminent domain ordinance. Neither did they extend the debate so they could could continue to discuss it and then vote on it at a later date. Instead, they voted it down completely, so they could wait for the results of their poll.

I don't know how else to describe this other than as idiocy. Now, even if they decide Bette White IS the right location, they'll have to go through the entire cycle for voting on a new ordinance - a process that takes several months. And, as I noted in the previous entry, no poll is going to give them any better information than they have now - it's just going to waste more taxpayer money.

What it sounds like now is simply that the Mayor decided he didn't want to take the political heat, and grabbed an easy way to put the kibosh on the deal without appearing to be running away. Unfortunately for Maplewood, the way he did it was to set a dangerous new precedent for the TC ... any future vote before the Township Committe that carries even a whiff of controversy will be dogged by calls for another opinion poll - and what justification can they use to deny the demands?

I'll be the first to admit that I can be a pain in the ass with criticism of elected officials - usually (I hope) with some semblance of common sense. I also understand that I'm not often likely to get my way. If I'm really good at arguing a point, I might change a mind or two. But if I don't, I'll be unsurprised. I'll not be likely to vote for those people in the future - but that's how the system works. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. If the TC members who voted for this silly poll notion are unable or unwilling to make their own decisions, on the CERTAINTY that someone will be disgruntled about it, they're in the wrong position. Mr. Pettis and Mr. Huemer, to their great credit, seem to understand this.

update 6:45 AM Aug. 5
Here's another "poll" story from the Star-Ledger

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?